In a blog post today, Google co-founder Larry Page announced a massive restructuring of the company, instituting Sundar Pichai as CEO and shifting himself and co-founder Sergey Brin to a larger holding company called Alphabet. Before you zest in yet another Indian – after Satya Nadella – heading the world’s tech giant, here are 10 things you might like to know about Sundar Pichai:
- Sundar Pichai was born in Chennai, India in 1972. He is 43 Years old.
- His real name is Pichai Sundarajan, though he is better known as Sundar Pichai.
- Sundar Pichai joined Google in 2004 as a product and Innovation officer.
- Pichai was named the Siebel Scholar at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the Ivy League universities.
- Pichai earned his Bachelors degree from IIT Kharagpur and was also the silver medalist of his batch.
- In the US, Sundar finished his M.S. and MBA degrees from Stanford University and Wharton University respectively.
- Before being appointed as the CEO, Sundar was the Vice President of Android, Chrome & Apps at Google.
- Sundar has been largely responsible for the creation of Google Drive, the Gmail app and Google video codec.
- It was his efforts on the Chrome OS and Android apps that put him at the top spot in Google.
- Twitter tried to employ Pichai in 2011 but Google paid him a boggling $50 million to stay back on his job in Google. Pichai was also rumored to have been approached by Microsoft for the post of its CEO.
(Image courtesy: Google. Oops, Alphabet, Inc.)